Saturday, March 9, 2013

South Shore 5K Run Review

Yesterday turned out to be a running day, after all.  Pete got home at 4.  It was no longer snowing so I went out for a quick 4 miler.  It was 36 degrees.

After my run, I went to Oceanside to pick up my packet.  Modell's moved and I mysteriously wound up at T.J. Maxx.  I'm not a regular, but I should be (I say this to myself every time I go).  They really have good deals.  I got a pair of black Kenneth Cole Reaction sunglasses ($12.99) for Florida, a cute tangerine sports bra ($12.99), and a cuddly, gray sweatshirt ($19.99).

When I got to Modell's,  there was only one other runner getting his packet.  The sport sack was filled with goodies:  Chapstick (nice), pens (nice), Fekkai hair stuff (nice), shampoo (nice), more shampoo (uh huh), Salt & Sweet M&Ms (eh), a Mary Kay Cosmetics coupon (eh), neon orange crackers (ew), and a nice looking long sleeve, cotton race shirt (nice).  Now that I'm typing this, I realize I should have taken a picture of the swag.  Too late because as soon as I got home I ransacked the bag like a hungry bear raiding a campsite.

I broke a windshield wiper on my truck as we headed off this morning.  An omen?  Perhaps.  We got to Oceanside Park a little before 9am.  It was pretty chilly and windy.  The park is right on the Great South Bay.  The kids ran around the playground, but it really was too cold be standing around outside.  They hung out in the tent that was set up for registration, packet pickup, and post-race snacks until the start.  There was a nice setup with a stage, but I think they were hoping to have more than the 195 runners that showed.  The snow yesterday probably scared off a lot of people.  By the time the air horn went off at 9:30, Pete's "I can't believe you broke the windshield wiper when I specifically told you not to" mood finally passed.

The route went through the residential neighborhood.  I hit the first mile at 7:25, Mile 2 at 15, and mile 3.1 at 23:42:04.  A half second PR!  A PR is a PR, right?  Yeah, lame.  I finished 20th overall out of 195, 5th out of the ladies, and 3rd in my age group.  The family was anxious to leave so I only caught the beginning of the post-race ceremony.  A Little League team from upstate raised $12,000 and presented the check to the south shore Long Island Little League teams affected by Hurricane Sandy!  We left before the awards to get some "international" pancakes.

See, if I had brushed the snow off the windshield before turning the wipers on, I surely would have finished under 22 minutes.  Lesson learned.

Race shirt



Finish line


  1. Congratulations on your PR and sorry about your wipers. You should have listened to your husband before you decided to break them : ) I had never heard of that race but perhaps I'll run it next year.

    1. Thank you! When is your next race? Did you make a decision regarding a half marathon?

    2. I don't have any races planned in March but I may do one on a whim. The next one on the calendar is the Marcie Mazzola 5K in Huntington in April. It's a great race. I'm still on the fence on a half marathon. Definitely not doing the RXR LI half this year, but I'm thinking of a few others.

  2. This comment has been removed by the author.