Sunday, February 10, 2013

Oops, I Did It Again...

I ran 8.55 miles up on the north shore.  My last long-ish run before the 10 miler next weekend.  I didn't know what to expect as far as snow and ice conditions so I wore my Yatrax as a precaution.  Again, most of the run was on asphalt and concrete.  There were some snowy patches and I took full advantage of them when I could.  After about 5 miles, the trax began to hurt.  The strap was digging into my instep.  I'm not sure if it was because I was wearing them over my Adizeros which are pretty thin and lightweight.  The springs underneath were bothersome too.  I just did a little research and apparently I risk breaking them on asphalt and concrete.  Uh oh.  I will bring them up to Foxboro, but will likely not wear them unless the entire route is covered in snow.

I had to make a pit stop around Mile 4 so I ducked into Bed, Bath & Beyond.  This put me on the main road which had no bike lane or sidewalk available.  I wound up running a hundred yards in the yellow painted island in the center of the traffic.  Not recommended for the faint of heart.  This happened again around Mile 7.  There was not enough room in the center so I had to just sprint before oncoming traffic caught up.  Spring can't come soon enough.

I checked the Hal Higdon 10 Mile Training program.  In both the Advanced and Intermediate plans, he has you running a minimum of 10 miles before the race.  Oops.  It seems I'm doing things a little backwards these days.

Ice feels really good on the knee, by the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment