Sunday, February 17, 2013

OFTM Postponed due to weather

A room with a view

I woke up around six this morning, but didn't get out of bed until a quarter to seven.  I got dressed and went down to the hotel lobby for the free breakfast.  I passed a window on the way down and did  a double take.  I expected to see snow, but the wind made it look like Antarctica out there.  The race director sent out an email yesterday advising us that we would be notified by 9am if the race was going to be cancelled.  So far, nothing.  After breakfast, I stepped outside to see what it was really like.  I discovered very quickly that it really sucked.  Now, I was secretly praying that it was going to be cancelled, because I know Pete was going to pressure me to run this no matter what.  Usually most elements don't bother me, however cold wind in my face I can do without.  I got back to the room, happy to find Pete not too anxious about heading out either.  He said we should wait until 9.  No argument here.

We got the email at 7:51.  The subject read "OFTM POSTPONED DUE TO WEATHER":

Good morning Runners, 

With the safety of our runners and our volunteers in mind, we’re postponing the running of the 18th Annual OFTM until a future date and time. A forty-five mph high-wind advisory coupled with a few inches of snowfall would surely create some treacherous running conditions and rather than risk injury to our participants, we’ll reschedule for another day. 

The Board of Directors for The Wampanoag Road Runners will meet immediately to consider alternative dates and will notify all registrants via email once this date is determined. Additionally, this information will be prominently posted on our website; 

On behalf of all the Wamps, I thank you for your continued support and will see you at the starting line at a date and time to be determined. 

Best Regards & Be Safe, 

Jim Morris 
Race Director

Pete is even willing to come back up at a later date, if our schedules permit.

Once again, the running gods are on my side.  They knew I wasn't ready for this race and kindly rescheduled while also giving us a nice family weekend away.  I checked the Long Island Race Calendar.  There's a 4 miler in Long Beach next Saturday.  I'll still be able to get a race in for February!

5 miles on the dreadmill.

No comments:

Post a Comment