Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Ice Ice Baby

No, that was not the last song I heard on my 5 miler.  It was the recurring theme throughout.  The temperature was about 20 degrees.  There was a thin layer of snow with many patches of ice on the streets and sidewalks.  Salt, anyone?  For the most part, the streets weren't that bad.  I was cautious, however, because it was hard to tell if the wet areas were black ice.  One road was a complete mess.  A car skidded at a stop sign.  I had to jump on the sidewalk to avoid getting hit.  Last year was so mild, I forgot what winter running was really like.  I am very concerned about the future and the effects global warming will have on all creatures great and small...but, when it comes to running on ice in frigid temperatures - eh, global warming isn't really that bad.  Pete said we were supposed to get a snow storm Friday night.  Just in time for my first race of 2013!  Yay (meaning, "Shit!")!

All that being said, I'm talking a lot of smack.  I recently researched (meaning I watched a short video on YouTube) one of the Antarctica marathons.  It actually looks very cool (heh heh) and is something I would very much be interested in attempting one day.  With all this "global warming" going on, it just might be 50 degrees down there by the time I get the opportunity.  Hmmm, not a bad plan...



I'm going to do some Yak Trax research, as recommended by my Idahoan friend (Shout out to D!).  I will let you know what I find out later.


No comments:

Post a Comment