Thursday, January 24, 2013

Cold and Colder

Tempo run in 17 degrees.  Will.  Write.  More.  After.  Thawing.  Complete.


Thawed.

So after repeatedly kicking myself for dropping the ball with the Marine Corps 17.75k race, I decided it was time to move on.  I looked around for other races with distances of either 10 or 13.1 miles in the next couple of months.  There is the Jones Group Realtors 10 Miler in Amherst MA.  This is hillier than I would like (yes, I wrote that - the day after I boasted about risking life and toes to run the hills of Long Island's Gold Coast).  After running the Mad Half Marathon in Ski Country, VT last summer and adding 14 minutes to my half PR, I decided if I can avoid serious hills mountains, I choose avoidance.  I also considered the Brooklyn Verrazano Half Marathon hosted by NYCRuns (the same group behind the Brrrrooklyn 10k on Saturday).  This race is very close to home and right on the water beneath the Verrazano Bridge.  Unfortunately, this is the same day Sav has a camp commitment.  I looked into the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler in DC.  Yep, sold out.  I hope this is not going to be a trend for running (or not running) races in the DC area.  Anyway, I finally found and, more importantly, registered for a race!  The Old Fashioned 10 Miler in Foxborough MA on February 17.  Foxborough is four hours from where we live, but only an hour from my brother-in-law's in Newport RI.  Since it is a holiday weekend (Presidents Day), we are going to make a little family trip out of it.  I will get to run my race, the kids will get to see their cousin,  and Pete will get to drink beers with his brother at the local pub.  Oh!  And the absolutely best part about this race is the 11:00am start!  Perfect for my lazy arse.

No comments:

Post a Comment