Thursday, September 19, 2013

Toe Jammed

7.47 miles at 9:30 on Tuesday morning.  I incorporated 6 x 100s as per my Pfitzinger schedule.  I finished in 1 hour and 1 minute exactly, an 8:10 pace.  Yesterday, I ran 10 miles with 4 x 1200 at a 5k pace.  Again, since I don't have a Garmin or similar gadget, I run my speed work by effort.

The most difficult part of yesterday's run was the first couple of miles.  For the past few years, I sometimes experience stiffness in my toes during my runs.  It usually works itself out after a couple of minutes.  Yesterday, the toes in my left foot would not relax for almost twenty minutes.  It was borderline crippling.  Thank God the kinks worked themselves out, but I probably would have had to cut the run short if they didn't.  I posted about this issue on Runner's World's Ask An Expert forum.  The expert, Bud Coates, a 2:13 marathoner and former Olympic trials competitor, suggested arthritis.  What the??  My mother has arthritis!  I am too young to be plagued with an old person's ailment.  (Actually, now that I think about it, my mother started complaining about her arthritis in her early 40s...  whatever....)  I, obviously, chalked Mr. Coates up as being a wacko.  He knows nothing about my dainty, youthful toes.

(Do they still make Geritol?  Just asking...for a friend.)








5 comments:

  1. Won't relax as in a muscle spasm? Or a joint issue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might consider taping them, and potentially taping them with something rounded underneath to keep them in a neutral position.

      Delete
  2. Diagnosis via blog is a dangerous thing, but I'll suggest your issue may be an overuse injury, since you're logging so many miles. A few years ago, my running partner, Adventure Girl, gifted me a bottle of Dr. Bonner's peppermint oil soap (http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/PEP.htm) before she went to save the environment in Montana and Belize.

    If you have one of those foot baths that also heats the water, you should try that with this soap. A little goes a long way, and it was very effective for soothing some intense foot soreness I had while training for my half.

    ReplyDelete