Sunday, September 8, 2013

Thank You Sir, May I Have Another?

Easy 5 yesterday.  Not so easy 18 today.

My alarm was set for 6 this morning.  At 2am my four year old woke up crying and had an "accident" on her brother's bedroom floor.  The whole scene lasted about 40 minutes.  At 4am my seven year old woke up and crawled into bed with me.  It was at this time that I rationalized a good night's sleep trumps an early morning run.  Now that school and soccer are in session, Sundays are really the only days I can "sleep in".  I reset my alarm for 8.  It's cool enough for me to run after my son's soccer game.

My mother decided my route today.  She came to see the game and then drove me back to Manhasset.  I started a little before 3pm.  I ran 8 miles through Plandome and South Strathmore.  I ate my first Gu and bought a Gatorade at the King Kullen on Northern Boulevard.  I then ran the remaining 10 miles home.  I finished in 2:39, an 8:49 pace.  Surprisingly too fast considering I felt pretty weak from not eating enough throughout the day.  I had two slices of protein toast with peanut butter for breakfast and that was it.  You would think that someone who only had a couple of slices of toast wouldn't have to stop and use the potty twice (yep, I'm laying it all out there again).  Annoying.

I usually run while the rest of the family is sleeping, so today I felt a lot of pressure during this afternoon long run.  Pete can get somewhat "flustered" (aka, insane) if left alone with the children for too long.  I think this is why I ran faster than my ideal 9:20 long run pace.  Once again, I need to remember to slow down for my 20 miler in a couple of weeks.

Hey!  If you're bored and reading this and you're sitting around with your friends and you're under twenty-five, I thought of a great drinking game!  Every time you read (aloud) the word "run" in this post, you have to either chug your beer or do a shot.  You're welcome.  Run.  Now drink.


Okay, so maybe I'm the bored one sitting around by myself looking for something to do.  And I'm slightly over twenty-five.



No comments:

Post a Comment