Wednesday, August 7, 2013


I did 5 on Monday and 6 yesterday.  Today was my mid week 14 miler.  I decided I would break it up for a couple of reasons.  One, I wanted to get three runs in within 24 hours to prepare for Hood to Coast.  I figured I would do seven in the morning, seven in the evening, and then six tomorrow morning.  Second, I didn't feel like waking up at the butt crack of dawn to do fourteen all at once.

Well, I woke up in the middle of the night last night exhausted and decided then I was going to sleep in and run my first seven up at my mother's in the afternoon.  All fine and dandy.  I felt well rested.  Santos went off to camp for three hours in the morning.  I waited.  By the time I picked him up and headed over to my mother's, it was pushing 2pm.  The last thing I wanted to do was run.  I am so much better when I knock it out first thing in the morning.  I did it, though.  The guilt and regret of not running, especially a longer run like fourteen miles, outweighs my laziness almost always.  It would be too hard to make up, plus I lost two runs last week.  I guess twenty years of Catholic school can make you feel guilty about almost anything.

I ran through Plandome and Munsey Park, enjoying the hills.  It was slow going, but nice.  Luckily, the skies were overcast making the 80 degrees bearable at midday.

So my next run would be after Pete got home this evening, anytime after 7.  Yup, the waiting game once again.   Tor-ture.  Every day by 4pm, I am usually ready for bed, today included. I don't ever actually go to bed at 4pm.  I'm just cranky for the rest of the day.   Pete got home at 9 and I raced out the door.

I wore a reflective belt around my waist and carried a small handheld flashlight.  I really think the flashlight saved my life.  I turned it on as cars approached me.  I didn't shine it in the drivers' eyes, but they definitely saw me and avoided running me down.  When I heard a car coming from behind, I held it backwards and I could hear the engines slowing down.

Of course, I had to use the restroom.  It seemed harder to find one at this hour.  Thankfully, the bowling alley was bustling.  I did get strange looks from the bowlers as I walked past sweating like a fat pig.

I finished the 7.44 miles in 1:04:24, an 8:40 pace.  I actually thought I was running faster, but I probably ran more cautiously in the dark.  6 miles early tomorrow morning.  So far, so good.


  1. This is exciting. I loved H2C when I saw it, and thought one day I'd like to run it, or something similiar. Will you be using a program like runmeter or mapymyrun so fellow bloggers (I) can track you?

    1. I'm checking to see if there's a way to track the runners from the official site. If not, I will likely do Map My Run. I may also do the Ocean to Sound relay here on Long Island the last weekend of September. It's considerably smaller, but a relay nonetheless. Have you ever run that?