Thursday, August 27, 2015

She Is The Ubiquitous Runner

Sunday (8/16/15) - 8.05 miles, 1:11:29, 8:53 pace


Monday (8/17/15)- 6.05 miles, 52:15, 8:38 pace


Tuesday (8/18/15)- 6 miles, 49:04, 8:11 pace. This was supposed to be 4x1.5 miles with 800m recovery.  I didn't start until 5pm when it was 850 degrees and 1000% humidity. Because of the unfavorable conditions, I thought I would run at the gym where it turned out to be only 750 degrees and 900% humidity.  Was the AC not working?  Were they deliberately trying to boil everyone? Or just me.  Whatever the case, I failed.  My "warm" up was just 800m and I only completed 3x1.5 miles with the recoveries because it sucked and I sucked right there with it.


Wednesday (8/19/15)- Off


Thursday - (8/20/15)10 miles, 1:20:58, 8:06 pace. 9 mile tempo run with a 1 mile warm up. This was a cool run, literally.  I ran along Niagara Lake above the Falls on the Canadian side.  Beautiful! After my warm up, it started to downpour.  I toughed it out, but after 6 miles (and a couple of bathroom emergency stops...yeah, I know) I decided to finish up at the hotel gym rather than risk drowning my iPhone. I actually enjoy running in the rain, especially in this heat.






Friday - (8/21/15) 5.98 miles, 58:22, 8:56 pace.  Another gorgeous run, except this time along the river in Pittsburgh. My first time in the city. I ran a couple of blocks from the hotel and down a flight of stairs next to the 9th Street Bridge down to the Three Rivers Heritage Trail along the Allegheny River.  I saw the PNC baseball park across the river where the kids watched the Pirates beat the Giants the night before.  A couple of blocks west I saw the Steeler stadium. Growing up, my brother was (and still is) a huge Steelers fan so when I saw the stadium it was like seeing the Taj Mahal. I went around the Point State Park Fountain until the trail ended.  I went up and over the Smithfield Street Bridge to the other side of the Monongahela River.  There were a couple of restaurants and a soccer field where it looked like a game of college aged men were about to play a team of women.  That would have been fun to watch. I turned around at three miles and headed back to the hotel. I loved touring this new city on foot and hope to return again soon.


Saturday - (8/22/15)10 miles, 1:24:41, 8:28 pace. Okay, this is my last scenic route for the week.  Friday afternoon we left Pittsburgh for Chester Springs PA to visit our friend Leonard. Saturday morning I got out the door around 10am. I ran out 5 miles and back on a rural road lined with sprawling stone farmhouses and rolling hills. I saw and smelled a lot of cows and horses. I think I ran faster than I should have because the family was waiting for me to get on the road and head back home.  At mile 7 when I peaked my last hill, I actually almost got sick on the side of the road.  I think it was the cumulative elevation (total gain 768 feet which is a lot for this south shore LI runner), the heat, and probably running too fast.  Even still, I enjoyed it.  I love using my runs as a way to explore new places.



Total miles - 46.1, at least 4 miles shorter than what was scheduled.


Again, I'm unable to post my pictures.  I will get them all on here once I solve my computer problem.
 

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe that you were able to make running in Pittsburg sound exciting and aspirational but you did. Now I want to run there. I wish I was a runner when we did our trip to Niagara Falls.

    It's hard to run in 900% humidity. Are you sure it was a gym and not a giant microwave oven?

    If 768 feet of elevation had that effect on you what are you going do running in the clouds in Utah in October?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do you insist on spelling Pittsburgh without the "h"? It's like when Peter May insists on calling his nephew Pat-rick. It's just weird.

      Yes, I felt like I was running in a steam room.

      Thanks for the vote of confidence regarding my marathon... I'll probably pass out and then choke on my vomit. I'll go out like a true rock star.

      Delete
    2. It's dumb putting an h at the end of Pittsburgh. That would make it sound like "Pitsburf" By the way, why do you need that extra e in your name? I'd think the cool accented one could handle it all.

      Just be careful that you don't choke on someone else's vomit.

      Delete
    3. I've noticed that you you've been using the word cumulative a lot.

      Delete