Sunday, February 16, 2014

My Left Foot

Hi there.  I have been kind of MIA for a number of reasons.  First, the weather has not improved.  In fact, I think it's gotten worse.  Runs have been skipped.

Second, my toe issues have not subsided.  In fact, I think they've gotten worse.  Wednesday's 14 miler turned into an almost 9 miler because instead of my toes seizing up on me, my entire left foot had a freak out.  I had just finished my 8 mile loop and was beginning my 6 mile loop when my foot just involuntarily contorted to this odd sideways position.  I tried to fix it, but I had no control.  I dragged it along until I reached the library.  I ducked inside and called Pete to pick me up.  This involuntary contortion actually has happened to me about four times in the past twenty or so years.  Because it has been few and far between, I never really did anything about it.  This might change.  I will make an appointment with the doctor by the end of the week if it does not improve.  My own diagnosis has ranged from poor nutrition to multiple sclerosis.  I need some answers and a remedy, sooner than later.

The third reason for my absence is lack of motivation.  Between reasons one and two, my drive to get out on the streets or even the gym, has been less than stellar.  I think if things don't improve, Boston will be a fun run.  Many people on the Runners World message boards have decided to run Boston easy, either because of injuries or just wanting to take the whole experience in.  This year's Boston Marathon is a special one.  I don't mind running easy, enjoying the atmosphere, and absorbing every moment.

Yeah, my theme song.
So what?

4 comments:

  1. I would rule out the serious concerns about you toes since this is something that has come and gone throughout the years. When I studied Uechi-ryu, we had to go barefoot in the dojo and I would experience similar spasms. I eventually figured out that it was related to the cold.

    The motivation issues are understandable. This has been a very bad season for running and many runner friends have expressed similar views. I like your idea of soaking in the Boston experience rather than focusing on high performance. I suspect that no matter how much you're thinking easy right now, you'll have trouble throttling all that speed on race day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point, I really have no idea what to expect on race day. I scrapped another long-ish run today, too. I did 4 miles outside which were miserable between the uneven sidewalks, flooded bike lanes, and mountains on every corner. Oh, and the black mouse who chased me down a sidewalk because it couldn't climb the snow wall to get to somebody's warm house. I thought I would do the remaining 12 on the treadmill, but that turned into 5. I really think I'm going to pay for these shortcuts on race day, if I try too hard.

      Delete
  2. It's the weather. Although I'd kill for the ability to BQ, I don't envy the pressure you must be feeling to train in this shit. A couple of 50 degree days, and you're motivation will return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I am not a cold weather person AT ALL! I would be very happy living in Florida or Hawaii. On second thought, scratch Florida.

      Delete