left to right: Emerging Runner, POTUS, and The Petite Pacer
Here are some helpful tips for meeting people from the internet for the first time:
1. Do so only if all parties have agreed. Showing up where you know someone runs regularly without telling him/her first only makes for an awkward first meeting and will likely involve the police.
2. Do so only if you have seen photographs of who you are going to meet beforehand. These photographs should not include booking numbers:
3. Do so only if you and the other party have had multiple correspondence. If the other party's correspondence include such phrases as "I've been watching you" or "My parole officer thinks you're a positive role model", it might be best to cease correspondence immediately. Changing your email address is highly recommended.
4. If the other party has told you, "I'm really, really hot" or "You can trust me" or "I have never been convicted of a felony", assume the opposite is true.
5. Meet in a public place. It is always good to have witnesses...just in case.
Seriously, use your best judgment. On the flip side, meeting people, bloggers in particular, can be fantastic! You've read about their experiences, received advice, cooked their recipes, worn their sneakers, shared in their achievements and disappointments. Meeting them can be like meeting an old friend or a rock star (likely, what Emerging Runner and Petite Pacer felt when they met me...HA! kidding!). Be safe and have fun! And go for a run.