Monday, March 17, 2014

Bethpage 3x2 Relay Race Review & A Long Run

Race Review

Saturday was the Bethpage 3x2 relay race.  I arrived at the park at 8am to do a 10 mile warmup before the race.  Not recommended, but I missed my 12 mile run the day before.  I headed north 5 miles on the bike path.  It was a nice change of scenery than the usual southern route I have run in the past.  Once I got into Plainview, I recognized the Holiday Inn along the parkway.  This is the same path I ran on during the GLIRC group run back in December.  I turned around at the Cold Spring Harbor laboratories.

I got back to the Bethpage parking lot at 9:20.  I met up with The Emerging Runner (ER) and his wonderful family.  His wife, also a runner,  is so sweet and easy going and his children are adorable.  It made me wonder how he got so lucky.  Could they be hired actors? (Ha, just kidding!  ER is really just as awesome as his family, as I'm sure you know from his blog).  Our friend and other teammate, The Petite Pacer (TPP) arrived minutes later.  She was fighting off a fever, but still showed up because she's a trooper and a little cray cray (Of course she is!  She's a runner!).  ER gave us our numbers and I quickly changed because I was sweaty from my warmup and knew I'd be freezing waiting for my turn.  I was freezing, anyway.

left to right:  TPP, Center, and ER

The start.


This was a trail race that started on a large field.  TPP went first.  She said she could only manage 10 minute miles, however she came in faster than expected.  She's pretty amazing.  ER took off next.  TPP gave me a quick overview of the terrain.  I was a little nervous because I have a history of taking off my shirt (Oops, Bare Naked Ladies on the brain) faceplanting on trails.  I didn't want to injure myself with Boston so close.  Before I knew it, ER emerged, as his name proves, from the woods and I was next.  I took off pretty quickly on the grass, but once I entered the woods, I became more cautious.  Most of the trail was packed dirt, but there were areas that were muddy, icy, or sandy.  Some parts were narrow, making it a little difficult to pass others (I'm talkin' to you, 8 year old zig-zagging red-headed kid!).  My legs were cold and rubbery and I regretted running the 10 miles beforehand.  I was unhappily surprised to see the One Mile marker when I did because I thought I was almost done.  Finally, I was out of the woods (literally) and headed toward the finish line.  I heard my teammates (family included) cheering me on which gave me a nice boost at the end.  I may have even smiled crossing the finish line, a first for me!





It was a fun experience.  It kind of reminded me of Hood to Coast.  I hope my friends and I do more relays together in the future.

Sunday Long Run  

Sunday morning I slept in.  I had an 18 miler on the calendar.  I wasn't sure how I was going to feel since I had run 12 the day before.  I got out the door a little before 1pm.  I took my usual route north.  After 2 miles at an 8:35ish pace, I picked it up.  I needed to run 14 miles at Marathon Pace, which was 8:17 for me.  There was a good wind coming at me from the north so I was surprised every time Map My Run announced my split paces.  I brought two packages of Sport Beans with me, but only ate one.  I stopped at King Kullen, the 10 mile mark, for some Gatorade.  The last 8 miles would be rolling hills.  I want my long runs to mimic the Boston elevation.  I wound up doing the 14 miles between a 7:32 and 8:55 pace, and my overall pace for 18.35 miles was 8:19.  I was tired at the end, but I got through it without a struggle.    

9 comments:

  1. Have you done Ocean to Sound yet? It is so fun!!! I can not believe you did 10 miles and then the relay...you are crazy in the best way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said, we runners are cray cray ;) I had an opportunity to run O to S last year, but I think I had a race conflict. Maybe this year?

      Delete
  2. Simply beast-like, my friend. I'd rather be on your team than running against you! Look at me keeping my distance from you in that picture. I'm feeling like a petri dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The picture looks like you're politely avoiding my stinkiness.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a fun relay! I haven't done a trail race yet...seems like such a challenge! Looks like you're on track for your marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think relays are more challenging because you don't want to let your teammates down. They are fun, though. From your lips to the marathon gods' ears...

      Delete
    2. Oh, you meant trails are more challenging. Yes, they are. Especially, for the more "experienced" (meaning older) runners who don't want to break a hip.

      Delete
  4. First I would like to say that those are fabulous pictures. I feel like I was there! I never had a chance to hear about your actual experience running your leg, so it was fun to read about it. I had a couple of trail hogs myself and almost slipped and fell getting around one of them.

    I'm glad you liked the actors I hired to pose as my wife and children. They were going to shoot a Target commercial on Saturday, but I offered them more money and promised them soup.

    Seriously, they really enjoyed meeting the famous SIOR and seeing TPP once again. I was really happy to finally introduce you. I continue to be amazed by your running abilities and I can't believe you covered over 18 miles yesterday, especially at that pace. I can't wait to see how you do in Boston.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see them selling Target. I'm thinking more Wheaties! Sorry for not giving you (more like Mrs. ER) credit for the pics. Thank you. Mrs. ER.

      Delete